Its so spicy and warm.
Here is my recipe, I make it a little different every time. Change and add to it as you wish:
- 1 bottle Red Wine
- 75g brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 star anise
- 2cm fresh ginger
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 big proper orange
- A few whole cloves (about a tablespoon of them)
- 1 bayleaf
- Cut up the orange into slices or chunks or just quarter it.
- Slice up the ginger in the same manner.
- Stick the cloves into the skin of the orange to make sure they aren't floating about the wine and getting into the mouthfuls.
- Pour wine into a medium pot. Add all the ingredients and gently heat until steam begins to rise. (don't boil it or the alcohol will diminish)
- Serve in big mugs. Feel free to add Sloe Gin to your mug of mulled wine. I sometimes like to put a bit of brandy in.